Looking for other community support services? Here are some organizations that may be of help to you:
- Alzheimer Society of Durham Region is a non-profit, charitable organization providing support and education programs for people with Alzheimer’s disease and related dementia, and their family and professional care partners.
- Distress Centre Durham provides a 24-hour helpline staffed by specially trained community volunteers. Distress Centre Durham helps people in distress to cope, by providing emotional support, crisis/suicide management and community education.
- Durham Mental Health Services (DMHS) is a non-profit, charitable agency providing services and supports to individuals and families living with mental health concerns. Staff work in partnership with clients, offering services that are person-centered and sensitive to individual needs.
- Canadian Mental Health Association – Durham provides a broad range of services to individuals and their families experiencing mental health challenges, from information and education to case management, psychosocial rehabilitation, housing and primary healthcare.
- Central East LHIN Home & Community Care serves those who need health care services at home, at school or in the community. The organization also supports those who are considering supported living programs or long-term care options.
- Durham Elder Abuse Network addresses the prevention of elder abuse in Durham Region through networking, information sharing, raising awareness and advocacy. Elder abuse is any action or inaction which causes harm to an older person by a person in a position of trust.
- Durham Region Non-Profit Housing Corporation is a social housing provider helping to meet housing needs through the provision of a practical, well-maintained and affordable housing portfolio, as well as assisting with related services to support residents in their housing.
- Durham Region Transit (DRT) Specialized Services provide accessible door to door transit service for persons with disabilities. Passengers must meet the eligibility criteria and complete an application form to qualify for Specialized Services.
- The Region of Durham Social Services Department provides services to over 25,000 Durham Region residents, many of whom may require one or more of Social Services aids such as: Long-Term Care & Services for Seniors, Business Affairs & Financial Management, Family Services, Housing Services, or Income & Employment Support.
- Town of Ajax
- Township of Brock
- Municipality of Clarington
- City of Oshawa
- City of Pickering
- Township of Scugog
- Town of Whitby
- Township of Uxbridge
- NADD (National Association for Dual Diagnosis) Resource Guide: Information about services and supports for people living with a dual diagnosis. The term dual diagnosis refers to individuals with an intellectual disability as well as a mental health diagnosis and/or behavioural challenges.
- Stroke: Durham Region Community Resource Guide for Living with Stroke: A comprehensive list of resources for stroke survivors and their caregivers to help in the treatment and management of the challenges of living with stroke.
Please note: The inclusion of these links does not imply any endorsement or guarantee by Community Care Durham of any of the organizations or the information on their respective websites.
Medical Alarm Products and Services:
Medical Alarm products and services offer peace of mind to many people and their families, as an important means of getting help in the event of any incident that requires emergency assistance. Community Care Durham is proud to partner with Philips Lifeline to provide the Philips Lifeline service to the communities we serve. We take comfort in knowing that our clients can continue to live confidently and independently in their homes with the reassurance that help is available at the push of a button.
Canada’s # 1 Medical Alert Service¹
Philips Lifeline is the first, largest, and industry leader medical alert service provider in North America with over 40 years of experience.
How does the Philips Lifeline medical alert service work?
|1. Summon Help
You’re always connected to Philips Lifeline’s 24/7 Response Centre with a simple push of your personal help button. In the event you cannot push your button or you are disoriented, our optional AutoAlert feature is designed to automatically call for help if it detects a fall.²
|2. Hear a reassuring voice
A caring Philips Lifeline Response Associate will quickly access your personal profile and evaluate your situation.
|3. Know help is on the way
If needed, Philips Lifeline Response Associate will contact a neighbour, a loved one, a caregiver or emergency services – based on your preference – and will follow up to make sure help has arrived.
Why choose Philips Lifeline?
- Philips Lifeline is recommended by doctors, nurses and other professional caregivers
- All help calls answered in Canada
- Professional home installation
- All personal help buttons 100% waterproof
- Proven AutoAlert fall detection technology available
- No landline needed (Wireless communicator available)
Solutions for secure and independent living
You’re never truly alone at home with HomeSafe
· Press your help button anytime you need help
· Waterproof help buttons can be worn as a pendant or on a wristband
· Optional AutoAlert (fall detection) feature²
|On the go
With GoSafe, wherever you go, we’re with you
· Perfect for more active adults
· Superior automatic fall detection technology²
· Up to six location technologies including GPS³
An easier way to manage multiple medications with 24/7 monitoring
· Take your medication on schedule with daily reminders and instructions
· 24/7 monitoring through our Canadian response centres
· Remain independent at home
Getting Philips Lifeline
For more information or to sign up for Philips Lifeline please call Community Care Durham Lifeline at 1-866-434-3463.
- Claim based on number of subscribers.
- AutoAlert does not detect 100% of falls. If able, you should always push your button for help.
- GoSafe coverage inside and outside the home is provided where third party cellular network coverage is available. Recharging of the GoSafe pendant is done by the subscriber as needed, when connected to the charger.