Please note: The in-person Exercise and Falls Prevention Classes are temporarily suspended. Virtual Classes are available to registered clients.
The Exercise and Falls Prevention Program is a community-based initiative aimed at meeting the exercise needs of Older Adults in the Durham Region. Focused on promoting increased participation, strength, flexibility, balance and endurance, Exercise and Falls Prevention classes help people to maintain and improve their physical abilities and reduce their fall risk. At Community Care Durham, our goal is to provide participants with the opportunity to keep fit, maintain their independence, and improve their overall quality of life.
- Cost: There is no charge for Exercise and Falls Prevention classes
“The seniors from The Lighthouse Retreat Senior’s Day Program, along with seniors from the surrounding communities, have been participating in the Exercise and Falls Prevention programs since 2013. The program has grown immensely over the years. We have seen vast changes with the strength and mobility of the seniors. It is truly making a positive impact in the lives of seniors.” – Client
“My partner and I have been participants in this enjoyable activity for several years. Attending for an hour twice a week over the past several years has kept us mobile and physically active. It is a proven falls prevention activity for individuals of all ages and abilities, and over the past few years we grew from one group to several groups that met at different times. In addition to chair exercises with weights, we walked following various patterns encouraging memory and balance. Music and laughter were part of the weekly sessions we looked forward to. All members experienced improvement in their physical well-being, and the group’s commitment to regular attendance speaks to the benefits we achieved.“ – Cheryl M.
“I have been a very healthy person all of my life and continue to be so six years after my diagnosis of Parkinson’s Disease. Understanding and coping with the various aspects of the disease, I have learned that guided exercises and movement classes for me are not a luxury, but absolutely necessary in maintaining my flexibility, balance, and stamina for as long as possible. An added bonus for me in a group setting is the friendship, the sharing of life’s experiences. It also gives me a mental lift and helps me recognize that I am not alone.” – Marilyn Q.
Who Leads Exercise and Falls Prevention classes?
- Exercise classes are led by experienced certified Fitness Professionals.
Where are Exercise or Falls Prevention Classes offered?
In Durham Region, Community Care Durham and the Oshawa Senior Community Centres (OSCC) are responsible for the delivery of Exercise and Falls Prevention Classes.
For more information on OSCC classes available in Oshawa, Whitby and Courtice, please visit their website at www.oscc.ca.
Community Care Durham (CCD) provides classes in Ajax, Pickering, Oshawa, Bowmanville, Newcastle, Port Perry, Uxbridge and Brock Township at the following locations:
- The Lighthouse Retreat (Exercise & Falls Prevention) – 5-845 Westney Rd S
- Westney Gardens (Exercise & Falls Prevention) – 1010 Westney Rd N.
- Harwood Manor (Exercise) – 655 Harwood Ave. S.
- Harwood Retirement Residence (Exercise) – 240 Old Harwood Ave..
- Bowmanville Creek Retirement Community (Exercise & Falls Prevention) – 105 Queen St.
- Seasons Clarington (Exercise & Falls Prevention) – 65 Clarington Blvd..
- Cannington Baptist Church (Exercise & Falls Prevention) – 60 Cameron St. W.
- Beaverton Royal Canadian Legion Branch 135 (Exercise) – 517 Mara Rd.
- Sunderland Royal Canadian Legion Branch 141 (Exercise) – 104 River St.
- Wilmont Creek (Exercise) – 1 Wheelhouse Dr.
- Sunrise Seniors Place (Exercise & Falls Prevention) – 75 John St. W.
- Sunrise Place Co-op (Exercise & Falls Prevention) – 130 Centre St. S.
- Abbeylawn Manor (Exercise & Falls Prevention) – 534 Rodd Ave.
- Altona Road Community Church (Exercise) – 1367 Altona Rd.
- Orchard Villa (Exercise) – 1955 Valley Farm Rd.
- Pickering City Centre (Exercise) – 1801 Valley Farm Rd.
- Parkway Retirement Home (Exercise & Falls Prevention) – 1645 Pickering Parkway
- VIVA Pickering Retirement Community (Exercise) – 1880 Glengrove Rd.
- Lakeview Manor (Exercise) – 451 Paxton St.
- Port Perry Villa (Exercise & Falls Prevention) – 15987 Simcoe St.
- Port Perry Seniors Club (Exercise) (Participants must be a member of the Port Perry Seniors Club) – 121 Queen St.
- West Shore Village (Exercise) – 293 Perry St.
- Butternut Manor (Exercise & Falls Prevention) – 3 Norm Goodspeed Dr.
- Douglas Crossing Lifestyle Communities (Exercise & Falls Prevention) – 6 Douglas Rd.
- Testa Heights (Falls Prevention) – 2 Testa Rd.
How Do I Register for CCD’s Exercise and Falls Prevention Classes
Classes are open to the residents of the facilities listed above and, in most cases, to members of the surrounding community. If you are a Durham resident and interested in registering for an Exercise or Falls Prevention class, please call 1-888-255-6680 or complete the online referral form found at Request Service.
CCD’s Exercise and Falls Prevention Program team can connect clients with the other integrated community support services offered by Community Care Durham and our partners to support people to live independently in their own homes.
- If you would like to receive more information about CCD services, please call us at 1-888-255-6680 or contact a Community Care Durham office nearest you.
- To download a Exercise and Falls Prevention Program flyer, please click on the link below:
Exercise and Falls Prevention Program flyer (Coming Soon!)
- Facilities interested in adding classes to their schedules can contact firstname.lastname@example.org.