Personal Support Workers
Home at Last & Access to Primary Care
1 – Full Time (35 hours/week) 3 – Casual (Elect to Work)
Community Care Durham is looking for experienced Personal Support Workers (PSWs) to provide assistance to clients in our Home At Last and Access to Primary Care services. This includes assisting clients with activities of daily living and transportation of clients in the PSWs vehicle as required in addition to providing settlement services to clients on return home.
HOME AT LAST
The “Home At Last” (HAL) Program has been established to assist with timely and safe discharge of hospital patients to their homes in situations where their family or caregiver is not available to transport them home when they are due to be discharged. The HAL PSW provides transition assistance to clients, including transportation from hospital to home and settlement services in the home.
ACCESS TO PRIMARY CARE
The PSW provides safe and escorted transportation to scheduled appointments, assistance in the client’s home preparatory to appointments and resettlement of the client in the client’s home following appointments.
- Graduate from a recognized Personal Support Worker program or acceptable equivalent (e.g., RPN, 2nd year nursing student) with experience providing care within the community setting
- Eligible and willing to register with the PSW Registry of Ontario
- Current Standard/Emergency First Aid with Level C CPR
- Satisfactory Police Vulnerable Sector Check
- Own cell phone and data plan to access SSP system (premium provided towards cost and use of data plan)
- Licensed vehicle and the ability and willingness to drive within Durham Region
- Maintenance of class G Ontario driving licence and clean Drivers Abstract with personal automobile insurance of at least $1,000,000 and appropriate business-use coverage as required by personal automobile insurance
- Comfortable working alone in the community (supervisor or Service Coordinator on call)
- Experience supporting clients in the community
- Sensitivity to the needs of the frail elderly and persons with disabilities, including challenges in cognition
- Physical ability sufficient to perform client transfers and activities of daily living and able to lift approximately 50 lbs., bend, stretch, stand for extended periods of time, climb stairs, reach, twist, sit, walk, and/or run
- Must be willing to work one weekend per month
- Must be willing and able to work throughout Durham Region in the various Respite services
- Ability and willingness to accept assignments on short notice and drive within Durham Region regularly and on occasion to the GTA and outside the Durham Region
Please apply in writing referencing posting number 2018-43, outlining qualifications and experience to:
Human Resources, Community Care Durham email: email@example.com
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing an inclusive workplace that embraces diversity, values differences and supports the full participation of all employees. We recognize the importance of ensuring that all job seekers and employees are treated with equal respect and dignity, and are protected from discrimination and harassment. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code we provide accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout our hiring process. If you require this information in an alternate format; require communication supports; an accommodation in applying for a posting and/or if you are selected for an interview, please inform our HR department.
Community Care Durham is a registered employer with the Personal Support Worker Registry of Ontario