Please note: Current and potential volunteers are requested to review the latest information on COVID-19.
Volunteers are the heart and soul of Community Care Durham (CCD). Without the commitment and dedication of volunteers, CCD would not be able to provide our clients with the broad range of services and supports that enable them to live safely at home. Volunteers make a difference, whether it is a few hours a week or a few hours a month.
Please consider joining our team of volunteers as we continue in our mission of
“Supporting People, Strengthening Community.”
“I have been a volunteer with Community Care Durham for 10 years. I have always preferred to be on the ground, working, doing and helping others. I look forward to meeting new clients, seeing familiar faces and assisting them as much as my role will allow. It is a joy to volunteer and has given me structure and a purpose during my retirement.” – CCD Volunteer
“Volunteering with CCD has been an amazing experience. I am very humbled to be able to offer my time to help a client in need. As a Friendly Visitor, I have been able to provide support and social companionship and am so happy to be a part of their daily routine. I am more than a volunteer to my client, I am their friend.” – CCD Volunteer
“Volunteering in my community was always on my to-do list and when I came across an advertisement 6 years ago, I signed up to help out in the Adult Day Program. Although I can often be found in the kitchen, I also have time to dance, sing and help out with games and activities. Volunteering has allowed me to meet new people who love to smile and socialize over a cup of tea.” – CCD Volunteer
- Adult Day Program – Assist with providing social and recreational activities for clients at the Bowmanville, Pickering, Uxbridge and Whitby sites.
- Client and Family Advisory Committee Member – Provide feedback and recommendations to the CEO and designated staff regarding issues of importance or concern to our clients and their care partners.
- Community Food Box – Deliver a weekly food box containing essential groceries to clients’ homes.
- COPE Mental Health Group Facilitator – Assist with group facilitation and social recreation in supporting clients with emotional and/or mental health concerns.
- Dining Assistant (On Hold) – Assist and/or facilitate alongside staff with meal preparation and kitchen routines.
- Foot Care Clinic Assistant – Assist the nurse in the administration of the Foot Care Clinic.
- Local Outreach Volunteer Member (On Hold) – Assist with building awareness about CCD programs, services, and volunteer opportunities.
- Luncheon Out (On Hold) – Provide transportation and/or assist staff with providing congregate dining for CCD clients.
- Meals on Wheels – Roles include packing meals, route convenor and delivering meals to clients’ homes.
- Office Support – Assist in accounting, human resources and/or carry out general office duties.
- Social and Safety Checks – Includes Friendly Visiting and Telephone Reassurance where volunteers provide face to face visits or phone calls on a regular basis to CCD clients.
- Transportation – Provide transportation for clients to medical appointments, grocery shopping and other activities.
- Other – Skills-based volunteering (e.g. marketing, project management, education and training, etc.).
Volunteerism at CCD is Diverse (Coming Soon)
CCD Service Volunteers
- Dedicate your free time, build your resume and learn new skills by volunteering for one of our many services.
- Promote team building within your organization and foster team spirit while giving back to your community.
- Bring your unique set of skills and experience to a volunteer role.
Family and Group Volunteers
- Volunteer with your family members or friends.
- Contribute your skills and time via the internet.
How do I become a volunteer?
Applicants are asked to complete the Volunteer Application online, by email or by calling 1-888-255-6688.
Once your application is received, a Volunteer Coordinator will contact you to discuss next steps which includes:
- Provide a Vulnerable Sector Police Records Check
- Provide a Driver’s Abstract if you are transporting a client in your vehicle
- Receive virtual orientation
- Receive service specific training
Thank you for your interest in joining our team!
For more information, please call 1-888-255-6688 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.